POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:09:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Mar 2008 15:35:47
Message: <47d6ed23$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> The source code has to
> know the endianess of the target system in order to be able to write
> bytes in the proper order.

 >   Which would be slower than writing the bytes in the proper order in
 > the first place...

I'm not sure how these two jibe. Either you're processing the muti-byte
objects in native order and writing them in a different order, or you're
writing them without processing them. In either of those cases, I don't
see compiler-generated code being slower than programmer-generated code.

The only way I can see it being slower is there's actually two different
sets of code, based on what order things are in, such that (for example)
one branch adds two numbers using "+" and the other does some magic to
add 0xA000 and 0xA000 to get 0x4001 automatically without actually
treating them as binary integers. Is that what you're referring to?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"