POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Mar 2008 14:22:54
Message: <47d6dc0e$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> an optional component? If it's plonked in as a base feature then 75% of
> customers will have it sitting there taking up space and never being used.

Last disk I bought cost less than $0.02 per megabyte. So if you have a
feature that takes ten meg on disk, it costs you less than a quarter to
store it over the lifetime of the disk.

They don't take up space in memory. We have demand paging, remember?
That's why you can't delete or write to an executable file while it's
running.  (Which is true on Linux, too, for that matter.)

> Yes and am I saying those options shouldn't be there? No I'm not what
> I'm asking is does the program dynamically load in the "embed video"
> library when such an action is attempted or is it just loaded on principle?

It's demand loaded when it's paged in. Virtual memory was invented back
in VAX days, remember? There's no distinction between "loaded on
principle" and "loaded when I branch to the code."

> No and I'm not saying users are dummies (ignorant perhaps), what is
> being said is that the core functionality of the program is being
> expanded at the expense of memory when the majority of users may not be
> using the majority of the functions.

*Virtual* memory. It's loaded off the disk into RAM when you jump to it.
It's not even taking up swap space, let alone RAM, if you're not
actively working with it. That's why they call it a working set.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"