POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Mar 2008 14:14:33
Message: <47d6da19$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> It's not a question of "so many features *I* don't need to use", but "so
> many features that *most* users don't need to use".

A lot of the bloat comes from features you use without knowing it.

A lot of the bloat in Windows, for example, comes from domain services,
remote management, and so on. None of that gets used by the home user.

A lot of the bloat in Excel, for example, is including the ability to
write macros in any .NET language and link them into the spreadsheet,
and talking to a SQL server from your spreadsheet. Do you do that? No.
Does the accounting department of a 10,000 person company use that? Sure
thing.

> I don't know that 1-2-3 would be completely useless by modern standards -
> I think a lot of tasks that people use Excel for these days aren't much
> beyond what 1-2-3 was capable of.

99% of *my* use is exiting CSV files. I'm hardly typical either, tho.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"