POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Mar 2008 13:52:30
Message: <47d6d4ee$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:41:02 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> You've been lucky.  Last company I worked for had many applications
>> with DLLs in common but requiring different versions.
>
> FWIW, that's actually easy to fix. You just put the right version of the
> DLL next to each executable, and create a file in the same directory
> with a magic name (that I disremember offhand but something like
> "loadseparate"), and the DLL loader will look at the directory with the
> executable first for any DLL.  It's the same thing that the
> "side-by-side" is supposed to solve, so googling for that would probably
> lead you to the right place.

Yep, that's what we ended up doing.  The problem is that most software,
when installed using the installation routines, will install any DLLs to
the system directory (at least that was the experience at the time, maybe
it's gotten better by now).  Our software testers used the trick you
describe to make programs work together that had this type of conflict.

Jim