POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Upgraded to Windows Vista, now video editing software is dead ... : Re: Upgraded to Windows Vista, now video editing software is dead ... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgraded to Windows Vista, now video editing software is dead ...
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Mar 2008 13:50:36
Message: <47d6d47c$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:44:52 +0000, St. wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:59:50 -0500, Warp wrote:
>>
>>>   Personally I don't see why anyone would want to "upgrade" right now.
>>
>> People are sheep.
>
>  "Baaaa"  :)
>
>    I've read a lot about Vista - I don't want it. XP is good. Nearly two
> years now, and no BlueScreens... :)

I've got it as a second boot option on my HP Pavilion.  My first
experience with it was not good:  I wanted to use the firewire interface
to pull some programs off of my DVR; had to install an XP driver for it
and the OS only detected the port as being there half the times I tried.
I finally got it working after a while.  I turned off UAC, installed VNC,
disabled Aero, got everything working *perfectly* so I could take the
machine (sans monitor and keyboard) back to where the TV is, plug it in,
and access it remotely over the wireless network.

I then shut the machine down and powered it on one last time to make
*sure* it would do exactly what I wanted.  It did.

So I disconnected it and took it to the back of the house and plugged it
in.

And I couldn't get to it.  No way, no how.  So, frustrated, I grabbed a
monitor to see what the dumb thing had done.  You know what?  It reverted
EVERY SINGLE CHANGE to the user profile I had put in place.  UAC was
enabled; Aero was enabled.  VNC wouldn't start; the firewall (which I had
disabled) was active.  It was as if I had just completed the "first boot"
setup.

If there's one thing that will piss me off about a piece of software more
than anything, it's the arrogance of programmers who think they know
better what I want than I do, and then implement something that *undoes*
every customization I have done so it works the way *I* want it to.

Jim