POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Mar 2008 13:43:45
Message: <47d6d2e1$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> When you're writing a single, simple tool, with well defined inputs and
> outputs, it's much easier to make it work *no matter what*.

I saw a study done a number of years ago where researchers took each
UNIX tool and piped random data into its input. The only ones that
didn't dump core were programs that didn't care (e.g., cat) or programs
specifically designed to parse its input (e.g., gcc).  Something like
70% of the tools they tested dumped core.

A couple years later, it was all cleaned up or at least vastly improved,
apparently.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"