POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - Proposal for voting policies : Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies
From: David Buck
Date: 11 Mar 2008 08:03:30
Message: <47d68322$1@news.povray.org>

>>     - Registration will capture home address and phone number
>>
> Home address?
> Hm, I'm affraid, this can hold back people from registering...
>
>> David Buck
>
> Slawek

You are registering in order to be able to submit images.  My impression
from the feedback here (especially from Chris Cason) is that he really
wants to know who submitted the images and is able to contact them later
for permission for third party use of the images and other things.

I realize that home address and phone number aren't guaranteed to be
able to locate someone, but it's better than just an e-mail address.

Again, I'll throw the question back.  If you feel that asking for
contact information would hold people back from registering, what do you
propose as an alternative?

I'm trying to address two concerns here.  First, for the purposes of
using the images outside the scope of the IRTC such as CD-ROMS and
requests from third parties, we need to be able to contact the artists.
  If we can't contact the artist, then we can't grant certain requests.

Second, by providing better contact information, it becomes more
difficult (but certainly not impossible) for someone to spam the contest
with entries from fake identities.  It's easy to get e-mail addresses.
Someone could submit 10 images (perhaps poor quality or token
submissions) to 3 contests using fake e-mail addresses for each then get
30 votes for the next rounds.

Positive suggestions on how to address these concerns would help us out.

Thanks
David Buck