POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - Proposal for voting policies : Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 11 Mar 2008 05:39:02
Message: <47d66146$1@news.povray.org>

le message de news: 47d65931@news.povray.org...
> Thanks for the proposal David.
>
>  o 'eye candy' factor
>  o hof-worthy [this would only be useful for POV-Ray images of course]
>  o educational value [from description or source code]

That seems more relevant than the old category system. The "education value"
sounds like karma points ;) That would make possible, for instance, to
reward people for making the source code available (or models and textures
provided in compatible formats) while keeping it separate from the judgement
itself.

> The intent of this is to attempt to offset the influence of votes that are
> well outside the norm for an image. I recognize that it's rather crude,
> and
> a better approach to looking for voting anamolies would be to e.g. view a
> standard deviation graph or some such, but that's something a statistician
> would be better qualified to talk about, rather than me.

It's not crude at all but a well-recognized statistical procedure.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truncated_mean
One could remove the top and bottom 5% of the votes for instance.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com