POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Easter People will dig this one : Re: Easter People will dig this one Server Time
18 May 2024 12:35:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Easter People will dig this one
From: Jan Dvorak
Date: 11 Mar 2008 01:32:06
Message: <47d62766$1@news.povray.org>
alphaQuad napsal(a):
> "Mike the Elder" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
>> ..... I suppose I should do one now ;-)
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Mike C.
>
> Yes you should!
>
> Academic question:
>
> While your on it, ponder if all points can connect 6 edges, as opposed to what
> segment3.png shows; points connecting 5, 6, and 7 edges.
>
> Wondering if mathematical magic can do it, or if my design depends on limited
> num stacks/slices, or if it is even possible. Seems a structural weakness and
> design flaw where 7 edges connect with adjacent 5-edge connections.
>
> aQ

no. You need vertices (points) of order 5. Assuming you only want to use
vertices of order 5 and 6, you need 12 5-order vertices as in the
icosahedron, or 6 4-order vertices, or 4 3-order vertices.
It follows from the Euler's characteristic:
	V+F=E+2
V-number of vertices
F-number of faces
E-number of edges
2-euler's characteristic of the sphere
if we assume no double edges(diangular faces) we can write E >= 3/2 F.
establishing F <= 2/3 E into the previous formula we get:
V + 2/3 E >= E + 2
V - 2 >= 1/3 E
6V - 12 >= 2 E
If you definitely want no 5-order vertices you can still use toroidal
domes (V+F=E+0) instead of spherical ones. or you can use partial spheres.
--
You know you've been raytracing too long when...
you ever saw a beautiful scenerey and regretted not to take your 6"