POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 10 Mar 2008 12:37:40
Message: <47d571e4$1@news.povray.org>

news: op.t7s7rzxyc3xi7v@news.povray.org...

> No and I'm not saying users are dummies (ignorant perhaps), what is being
> said is that the core functionality of the program is being expanded at
> the expense of memory when the majority of users may not be using the
> majority of the functions.

The Excel solver is optional. And it's kind of annoying when you have to
send a file to someone assuming it's installed when it's not... Ditto for
any application that require plugins. Modular applications are nice but when
one has to share documents (which is the norm in many working environments)
it can be problematic. Also, the process itself of finding, adding and
removing modules adds to the complexity (where's that friggin video library)
and when software operation becomes dependent on the compatibility between
modules and the main application it can cause serious issues. Everyone would
like to have lean and clean software with all the features that we
(personally) need immediately available (and only those), but in the real
world things works differently, particularly when other people - colleagues,
customers - are involved.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com