POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Mar 2008 11:38:23
Message: <47d563ff$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:07:04 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> The trouble with Linux is that everything is 50,000 utterly *tiny*
> pieces, each of which does almost nothing useful by itself, and you have
> to put thousands of these tiny pieces together to do anything useful.

Well, that's a fallacy right there.  I'm running a monolithic application
at the moment called "pan", which is a newsreader.

I've got another fairly monolithic application called "firefox" running
in the background, and another called "OpenOffice" that's at the
standby.  Also one called "Pidgin" which is an IM client.

None of these apps particularly *requires* any of the standard command-
line utilities on my OS for anything short of building it (if I should
desire to do so).

Jim