POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - voting policies : Re: IRTC - voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - voting policies
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 10 Mar 2008 11:31:53
Message: <47d56279@news.povray.org>

47d2ce11$1@news.povray.org...
> I intend to allow voters to rate each image in 4 categories
> - overall
> - technical merit
> - artistic merit
> - concept and interpretation of theme

It should be noted that with the IRTC, the 3 notes (techical, artistic,
concept) were always extremely correlated. In the 2006 rounds the
correlation coefficients between these notes were in the 0.92-0.96 range:
it's basically the same note (correlation coefficients run between 0 and 1
where 0 = no correlation). One can run a regression and predict one note
with another with a small margin of error. I did the same calculations in
the past, with the same results. In a nutshell, folks who are smart enough
to understand a concept and come up with a good idea also have decent
artistic and technical skills. Now that's really surprising ;)

There are occasional outliers of course - for instance images with a
moderately good artistic note and so-so concept - but on the whole having
several voting categories is more intellectually satisfying than
statistically meaningful.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com