POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Mar 2008 09:06:46
Message: <47d54076@news.povray.org>
>> I just prefer being able to add new drivers without having to recompile
>> the kernel and reboot the machine - but that's just me...
>
>   I have never had to recompile the kernel or reboot the machine because
> of requiring a new driver.
>
>   man modprobe

No - but it *is* fun if you try to install some device driver that needs
to be compiled from source and you don't have the kernel headers
installed. (Whereas on Windoze you just install the driver - and hope to
God that PnP actually does what it's meant to...)

I had great fun trying to get the nVidia graphics drivers to actually
blinking work...

>> OOC, what are the benefits?
>
>   For example, the interfaces and protocols between the kernel and the
> drivers can be modified easily without having to worry about backwards
> compatibility.

Mmm, OK. I can see how that would be useful...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/