POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Warp
Date: 10 Mar 2008 04:34:51
Message: <47d500ba@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > The problem is that much of our "modern" software includes features that
> > no sane user wants to use.

> it's not just feature bloat: the sheer number of code libraries and multiple
> layers of indirection given modern programming environments is a huge factor
> for slowness.  Thus, hardware gets faster and faster and software bloated and
> bloated.  For us, it's always about the same.

  It may be a factor for slowness, but it doesn't mean that software is
actually slower in modern hardware than it was in ancient hardware.

  Another factor is that today you can do much more and at much larger
scales than back then. There's also better interactivity between programs,
especially in Windows (where you can, for example, embed an object from
one program into the document of another, and edit it in-situ). "Multiple
layers of indirection" is not always a bad thing.

--
                                                          - Warp