POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : USB Hardware riddle : Re: USB Hardware riddle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: USB Hardware riddle
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 9 Mar 2008 17:19:18
Message: <47d46266$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> No. The problem is that each USB device is supposed to have a unique
>> serial number, so the OS knows when you plug the same device into a
>> different port. On a sufficiently cheap piece of USB hardware (espcially
>> those where it doesn't matter, like a mouse), they don't manufacture the
>> bits that are different for each item.
>
>> Hence, when you plug the same device into the same port, Windows says "I
>> saw that before, but it doesn't have a serial number, so I'll assume
>> it's the same thing." When you plug it into a different port, Windows
>> assumes it's a different device, and goes through the install dance again.
>
>   What I don't understand is why Windows can't do "hmm, I *already* have
> the driver for this device installed, I don't need to install it again,
> I'll just support the device right away". It's not like connecting it to
> a different usb port would make recognizing the type of device more difficult
> than connecting it to the same port as yesterday.

That's exactly what keeps me wondering as well. The Laptop (about 4
months old, BTW) recognizes the USB Headset on one USB, but not on the
other, AND it doesn't usually need any installation whatsoever, you just
plug it in and it gets recognized as a pair of headphones and a mic.

I just don't get whats going on. Of course, always using the same USB
slot solves the problem, but it IS kinda strange, given the actual idea
behind USB, right?

--
aka "Tim Nikias"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>