POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:15:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Mar 2008 15:14:38
Message: <47d4452e$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 05:20:26 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> > A more appropriate comparison would be WordPerfect 5.1 to Wordpad if
>> > you're just doing bare-bones word processing that needs a little
>> > formatted text.
>
>> WordPad didn't exist on DOS.
>
>   Neither did Word 2003. I completely fail to see your point.

Comparing modern software on modern hardware with a modern OS against the
"modern" equivalents from 20 years ago.

20 years ago, I could run WordPerfect for DOS on a DOS machine that was
an 8086 or 80286 and got decent performance - instant responses and
whatnot.

Today I have a machine that's a billion times faster, and the modern
software *runs slower*.

Jim