POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 9 Mar 2008 07:18:22
Message: <47d3d58e@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson schrieb:
> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:07:09 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>>   I think you could perfectly well fit an ultra-small linux distro which
>> uses a light-weight window manager in a bootable 32MB hard disk. If it's
>> light-weight enough, it probably could even run with 32MB of RAM.
>
> I ran a very lightweight Linux distro on a 386 with a maximum memory
> capacity of 16 MB.  The machine physically couldn't take more memory.
>
> Jim

I switched to LINUX when my pretty *new* 386 wasn't sufficient for the
new Mrcrosoft OS requirements. As a nice side effect the LateX version
was capable of running more than 200 pages - unlike the DOS version,
that stopped at 200. At that time I had been very happy about the
performance of LINUX, making the most of my hardware.

Marc