POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Mar 2008 23:06:18
Message: <47d3623a$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 00:05:05 -0200, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Jim Henderson escribió:
>> With a decent connection to the 'net, surfing the web 15 years ago was
>> generally faster, if only because the amount of crap that people put on
>> web pages was reduced.  15 years ago, the big thing being talked about
>> was whether or not to use blink tags for $DEITY's sake.  Now it's all
>> about flash animations and dynamically updating web applications which
>> should *really* be implemented not using web technologies, but rather
>> using desktop development technologies.
>
> OMG somebody with common sense...
>
> Some months ago I started writing my own NNTP server just so I could
> read web forums from Thunderbird, along with news.povray.org. The idea
> was writing both the server and the web scraper. Yet another abandoned
> project, for now.

I wish more software projects would recognize a few things:

1.  NNTP is very efficient for those who read lots of messages
2.  It's not impossible to have web-based forums and still provide an
NNTP interface (vBulletin is quite good for this, actually)
3.  Creating 500,000 different discussion areas that are not connected
doesn't make your project *better*, it dilutes the expertise to a point
that it actually weakens the project.

One of the reasons I really like the POVRay project - good, strong,
community and a common-sense approach to managing that community.

Jim