POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old photographs : Re: Old photographs Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old photographs
From: nemesis
Date: 8 Mar 2008 22:25:29
Message: <47d358a9$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> St. wrote:
>>> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message

>>>     You're not kidding. I love these photo's too, but did you notice
>>> the boy wearing a dress, (left, top row)? And is that, (shall we
>>> say), a 'short' blond haired lady to the right? It makes you think
>>> about what the mindset of these people was like back then. Hard times
>>> indeed.
>>
>> The most distracting thing in these old photos is that you never see
>> anyone smiling.  Hard time indeed.  Either that or "cheeeese!" was
>> still to be invented. :)
>>
>> and to think Buster Keaton and Charles Chaplin were just a few years
>> away...
>
> You try standing still for 5 hours, waiting for the film to be
> completely exposed (or whatever the term was), and see if you can smile
> the whole time ;)

what?!  5 hours exposure?!  Are you sure?  Whenever I see Old West
movies, there is a flash and bum, photo taken.  I might expect long
times of exposures -- though not 5 hours! -- for photos like these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Image-Frederic_Chopin_photo_downsampled.jpeg

But that is from 1849!  Not 1897, which already had cinema movies in 15
FPS or so...