POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Warp
Date: 8 Mar 2008 20:07:09
Message: <47d3383d@news.povray.org>
> Nothing except that I'm amazed at how fast disk sizes grow.

  Not only do they grow a lot, they get incredibly cheap. Same for RAM.

  I remember when I bought 4 megabytes of extra RAM for my 486. It costed
something like (when converted) 250 US dollars. Nowadays I can buy 1 gigabyte
of RAM with less than half that amount of money.
  (Somehow the cost of RAM plummeted at an incredible rate at some point.)

> It used to be 32 meg was as huge as it got on a desktop machine. Now
> that won't even be enough RAM to boot a modern desktop OS, let alone a
> enough disk space.

  I think you could perfectly well fit an ultra-small linux distro which
uses a light-weight window manager in a bootable 32MB hard disk. If it's
light-weight enough, it probably could even run with 32MB of RAM.

--
                                                          - Warp