POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 8 Mar 2008 18:37:24
Message: <47d32334@news.povray.org>

message de news: 47d31bb8$1@news.povray.org...

>>   Not true. Software *does more* at the same rate as computing power
>> allows it.
>
> But if you want to do the same simple thing you did before (ie. you don't
> want it to "do more") with modern software, it's still slower.

Like Warp, I'd like to see hard data about that. I've been using computers
for engineering and office work since 1983 (I even punched cards, just to
show you how old I am) and the "modern software is bloated" meme goes
completely contrary to my experience. If anything, I keep being amazed at
the things I'm able to do now, particularly when I look at my archives and
at the things I did back then that seemed to me, at the time, difficult and
slow. I mean, lots of the stuff that people take for granted nowadays, like
printing stuff, could be just painful then.

And I *** have *** metrics: for instance, I've been running on a regular
basis a large and complex set of calculations and queries from a big
database that I've been developing since 1989 (one year before you were
born!). When I started, these processes took one entire day (often I let it
run during the week-end). Sometimes I realised that I had done a mistake so
I had to rerun it (or parts of it). Now this set of processes, expanded to
much more complex ones, runs in less than two hours, even though the
database is 10 times larger. In fact, I gradually increased the complexity
of the queries over the years to take advantage of speed, RAM, disc space
and software abilities. And that's just an example: most of the stuff I do
routinely now would have been extremely difficult 10 years ago, and pure
science-fiction (on a desktop at least) 20 years ago.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com