POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Mar 2008 18:18:33
Message: <47d31ec9$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   That would be a 486, yes. It worked in a 386, but 486 was recommended.
>
>> Actually, I'm kind of amused. I realized the files in the boot partition
>> for my Linux are bigger than you could put on the biggest hard drive
>> available for the IBM AT.
>
>   I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say.

Nothing except that I'm amazed at how fast disk sizes grow. It wasn't a
cut on Linux.  I just don't have any idea how big the "boot partition"
on a Windows machine would need to be.  (Unless you only count NTLDR et
al.) I was merely making an observation.

People complain about "software bloat", and it always seemed like a
silly complaint. I have a five-year-old machine, and I can't even buy a
disk drive as small as twice as big as what's in there now.

It used to be 32 meg was as huge as it got on a desktop machine. Now
that won't even be enough RAM to boot a modern desktop OS, let alone a
enough disk space.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"