POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Mar 2008 17:24:34
Message: <47d31222$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 21:09:08 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>
>> He means a *current* Word on a *current* computer is as slow as the old
>> Word on an old computer. Software gets slower at around the same rate
>> as computers get faster.
>
> And I find this extremely annoying. But apparently I am entirely alone
> in this opinion, so...

Nope, that's something that's pissed me off about the computing industry
for many, many years.

If anything, it takes longer now to do things on a computer than it did
10 years ago, because the machines are doing so much more in the OS and
with other apps, everything slows down significantly.

So while the number of transistors on a chip doubles every 'x' amount of
time, the amount of time it takes to actually do a task generally has
increased by a proportional amount.

Some tasks, obviously, this doesn't apply to.  Rendering anything in POV-
Ray on a V20 processor was painful - but something I did often in the
early 90's.  Now it's nice and fast.

But as tools have gotten more complex, people's ability to use then
effectively has been reduced significantly.

Jim