POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 8 Mar 2008 15:15:07
Message: <47d2f3cb$1@news.povray.org>
>>>  Sometimes you really do give the impression that you live under a rock.
>>
>> Why? Because I don't follow every tiny twist and turn of modern
>> technology with bated breath?
>
> Do you read no tech-related news? Any news at all?
> The end of HD-DVD was fairly big news, and was at least mentioned by
> mainstream media.

Generally, no.

The mainstream news seems to only be interested in telling you about all
the BAD news. It's damn depressing to watch.

Most "technical news" is of the form "company X says they're going to do
Y and some analyst things that's a dumb idea". I mean, like I care.

It's annoying really - there are things I *do* care about. But it seems
difficult to find any news about them.

>> And while we're on the subject... I gather that all this "HD" stuff is
>> only slightly better quality than what's already there. It's not like
>> anybody is going to notice a huge increase in picture quality.
>
> The increase in picture quality can be quite noticeable, but only if you
> have equipment that can display it properly.

Well, two things:

1. It has 2x the spatial resolution in both directions. That doesn't
sound particularly earth-shattering, even on paper.

2. I saw two displays side-by-side in a shop. The one marked HD was
certainly clearer. But it didn't make me go "wow, that's AMAZING!"
Actually it just made me go "oh, OK, so it's 10% more crisp. And you
want HOW MANY thousand pounds for this one??"

>> And that makes it hard for me to get excited about it...
>
> A lot of people are of the opinion that selling movies on optical media
> is obsolete anyway.

What, you mean like how magnetic tape is "obsolete" today? ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/