POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Warp
Date: 8 Mar 2008 15:06:44
Message: <47d2f1d3@news.povray.org>
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> > VAX is... an old computer. Well, not old. More like ancient.

> Pioneering, actually.  Lots of good ideas came out of the VAX. As an
> example, VAX stands for "Virtual Address eXtension", i.e., virtual memory.

  Note that VAX was a 32-bit computer. This is 1977 we are talking about.
(The Intel 80386, the first 32-bit PC processor, was introduced in 1986,
ie. over a decade later.)

  (Of course the PC world lagging behind in technology is nothing new.
The DEC Alpha processor was already 64-bit in 1992. The first 64-bit
PC processor was the Itanium, in 2001, which didn't get widespread
popularity. The first widespread 64-bit PC processor was the AMD Opteron,
introduced in 2003.)

--
                                                          - Warp