POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : USB Hardware riddle : Re: USB Hardware riddle Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: USB Hardware riddle
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Mar 2008 14:26:44
Message: <47d2e874$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   What I don't understand is why Windows can't do "hmm, I *already* have
> the driver for this device installed, I don't need to install it again,
> I'll just support the device right away". It's not like connecting it to
> a different usb port would make recognizing the type of device more difficult
> than connecting it to the same port as yesterday.

It's not actually installing new code for the device. It's installing
the configuration for that particular instance of that particular kind
of device. It doesn't prompt you for a CD or anything. It just writes
the configuration into the registry, starts up any services need to
support it, and so on.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"