POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 8 Mar 2008 09:31:50
Message: <47d2a356@news.povray.org>
"Vincent Le Chevalier" <gal### [at] libertyALLsurfSPAMfr> wrote in
message news:47d2a03f$1@news.povray.org...
> If I'm not mistaken there are two things in D&D, one are the rules, the
> other is a more or less accurate description of the universe (what
> monsters you can possibly encounter and so on). The rules are probably
> somewhat specialized for the universe described.

What equipment is available, what character classes there are, what magic is
done

> So the films and series actually build up on the background universe of
> D&D, which happens to be (tolkienish) fantasy. But the description of
> dwarves, orcs, elves and so on, is based on what D&D says (which by the
> way is a bit different from what Tolkien says, I believe).

It is. In D&D rules, goblins are short bown-skinned critters the live in
tribes, orcs look kinda like Neatherthals with grey skin. They're fond of
axes. Elves are shorter and more slender than humans. They have pale skin
and dark hair and live in forests. Dragons come colour-coded (red dragons
breath fire, white dragons breath frost)

There are certain things that 'define' a world based on D&D rules. Equipment
is one thing, common weapons and armour. Monsters have certain appearences
and behaviour. Magic takes a certain form (fire ball, magic missile,
invisibility, lightning bolt, fly, ...). Different character classes have an
expected appearence and behaviour (Fighter - plate armour, greatsword.
Ranger - leather armour, bow or twin weapons. Cleric - plate armour, mace
and healing spells. Wizard - no armour, no weapons and lots of destructive
magic)

Also the D&D rules include a couple of well-defined worlds. Greyhawk,
Forgotten Realms, Eberron.