POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Warp
Date: 8 Mar 2008 07:10:45
Message: <47d28245@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:
> > Tell me about it. I thought "dungeons and dragons" was a TV series...

> Well, there is a spin-off cartoon series (ok) and 2 movies (terrible)

  I'm not completely sure how they can say that a TV series or a movie is
based on D&D, given that D&D is not, AFAIK, a story. If I'm not completely
mistaken, D&D is basically just a set of rules of gameplay. The story itself
is invented by the DM and the players as they go. The rules don't specify
how the story should go (only how playing the game should go).

  Thus a "movie based on D&D", to me, sounds like saying "a movie based
on chess". The latter would be a movie about chess players, chess tournaments
or something like that, not a movie based in an imaginary world which uses
the rules of chess.
  Likewise a "movie based on D&D" would be a movie about D&D players, them
playing D&D RPG games, D&D tournaments, etc.

  If by "a D&D movie" they mean a movie situated in an imaginary setting
resembling European medieval ages, with magic, wizards, elves, dragons and
other such (tolkienish) fantastic elements, that's a movie of the fantasy
genre. What that has to do with D&D (other than it's a popular, although
AFAIK not an exclusive subject of typical D&D games) is beyond my
comprehension.

--
                                                          - Warp