POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 8 Mar 2008 07:06:14
Message: <47d28136@news.povray.org>
>> Wait, dude... what the HELL does D&D have to do with computers? I'm
>> seriously puzzled now...
>
>   D&D has to do with nerds, and I would say that at least 99.9% of D&D
> nerds are also computer nerds.

And therefore 99.9% of computer nerds are also into D&D?

>   Moreover, D&D has been very influential in computer gaming. Many RPG
> computer games have been influenced by D&D (in some cases so far that
> the computer game more or less strictly uses D&D or AD&D rules). Most
> western RPG games (including MMORPGs such as WoW) are inspired by D&D.
>
>   Thus it's strange if a computer gamer has never heard of D&D or knows
> what it is.

Perhaps you'll recall that I also don't know what an RPG is? (I prefer
FPS or puzzle games.)

I should perhaps clarify: I am vaguely aware that the cartoon series I
spent my entire childhood watching is loosely based on a game of the
same name. I know nothing about that game. I also have a vague idea of
what terms like RPG and MMORPG mean - as in, the textbook definition. I
have no idea what it would be like to *play* such a game. And so I feel
I don't "really know" what these terms are.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/