POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : USB Hardware riddle : Re: USB Hardware riddle Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: USB Hardware riddle
From: Warp
Date: 7 Mar 2008 15:40:14
Message: <47d1a82d@news.povray.org>
> No. The problem is that each USB device is supposed to have a unique
> serial number, so the OS knows when you plug the same device into a
> different port. On a sufficiently cheap piece of USB hardware (espcially
> those where it doesn't matter, like a mouse), they don't manufacture the
> bits that are different for each item.

> Hence, when you plug the same device into the same port, Windows says "I
> saw that before, but it doesn't have a serial number, so I'll assume
> it's the same thing." When you plug it into a different port, Windows
> assumes it's a different device, and goes through the install dance again.

  What I don't understand is why Windows can't do "hmm, I *already* have
the driver for this device installed, I don't need to install it again,
I'll just support the device right away". It's not like connecting it to
a different usb port would make recognizing the type of device more difficult
than connecting it to the same port as yesterday.

--
                                                          - Warp