POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD solves my life : Re: XKCD solves my life Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XKCD solves my life
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Mar 2008 07:37:38
Message: <47cfe592@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> I was recently surprised to hear small kids <5 year old) use certain
> "gross/funny" words that were already popular with small kids 40 years ago.
> Since these words are only used by kids, you won't find them in books and
> parents/teachers are unlikely to use them. One can only guess that each
> generation of kids n pass them on to generation n+1. That's a 100% oral
> tradition, flying below the parental and academic radars and disconnected
> from the mainstream cultural environment. It's pretty amazing actually.

The boarding school I went to had roughly 40 students. We virtually had
our own friggin' LANGUAGE!

And it only took 1 person to discover or invent a new word and that
language was permanently changed. Like, within weeks.

One day, somebody discovered a word we'd never heard of called
"blatent". The dictionary definition he looked up suggested that it
basically means "lots". (Which I now comprehend is *not* exactly
correct.) For the next 6 months or so, it was blatent-this and
blatent-that. Like, "OMG, dude, that girl is *blatently* hot!"

God damnit we were bored stupid...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/