POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: stbenge
Date: 5 Mar 2008 02:00:52
Message: <47ce4524@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I didn't get very far with the GIMP. The extreme uncontrollability of
> the lines made me give up rather quickly. PhotoShop seems much better in
> this regard, although I still couldn't get decent curves out of the
> cheap optical mouse.

I know a way to smooth jagged lines in the GIMP.

1) Draw your line in black and white.

2) Apply gaussian blur with a largish radius (10-40).

3) Choose 'curves' from Layer>Colors>Curves and squeeze the black near
the white to constrain the curve (but keep each at their respective y
positions).

You should be left with much smoother lines, but intersecting areas will
appear slightly 'blobbed'.

I know a way to fill antialiased areas with perfect fills and paints.

1) Select an area to fill with the magic wand tool.

2) Go to Select>Grow and grow selection by 1 or 2 pixels.

3) If
   3.1) Area is white:
     Select blending mode 'multiply' for your paint tool
   3.2) Area is colored:
     Select blending mode (edit) 'Overlay' for your paint tool and choose
white for your color. Paint until the area is white again.

Sam