POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity : Re: Curiosity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curiosity
From: Tim Cook
Date: 3 Mar 2008 13:39:09
Message: <47cc45cd$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> If all of the complex manipulations seen here are really done with
>> layers... hmm, it must take quite a bit of planning to make sure
>> everything is in the correct layer and not accidentally paint yourself
>> into a corner.
>
>   You wouldn't believe the sheer amount of layers a graphics professional
> uses when creating images. We are talking about hundreds.
>   Every single minuscule thing is usually put into its own layers.
>
>   Naturally layers can (and should) be named so that you can keep track
> of what is where.

The drawing I'm working on I've got various layers; each reference on
its own layer, earlier versions still have the original sketch, the
dolphin is one layer, the mermaid another, two versions of her hair on
their own layers, the background will be its own layer, I have a few
masks so one thing can be fully drawn but partially behind another thing
without being visible through it, if I ever want to add colour, each
colour will probably be on its own layer...

What really sucks is spending an hour drawing, then realizing you're on
the wrong layer...!   *sigh*

I use Alias Sketchbook Pro 2 which is relatively feature-spare, but
because of its simplicity is a lot easier to handle.  I personally
loathe PhotoShop due to the culture of elitism surrounding it (it WAS
originally a Mac product), and GIMP was obviously originally for linux;
complex, unintuitive, and missing some smaller features that you still
end up using regularly.  I still use PSP 7 for mundane image manipulation.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com