POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity : Re: Curiosity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curiosity
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2008 05:39:21
Message: <47cbd559$1@news.povray.org>
>> Are you *kidding* me? This is the most advanced thing I've ever seen! o_O
>
>   Clearly you have never used an image manipulation program to its full
> extent. Even the Gimp has many of the features showcased in that video
> (although, admittedly, some of them are not as easy to use).

Well, given that I can't actually draw, I guess I don't spend a huge
amount of time with drawing packages. (Which arguably Photoshop is and
the GIMP isn't - depending on your definitions.) And it's not like the
GIMP comes with a manual. It's not even clear what half the buttons are
meant to DO...

Some things that shock me about this video:

- Tim manages to draw, UNdraw and then redraw lines multiple times.
Usually in a bitmap editor, all drawing operations are final and cannot
be undone like that. (That's what's so great about vector images - you
can edit *everything* and nothing is ever "final".)

- He scales objects. This generally isn't possible in bitmap editors
without absurd levels of highly-visible distortion. (Tim even scales
individual *parts* of objects - something I've never seen any bitmap
editor allow.)

- Tim is able to move objects around, place one in front of another, and
draw stuff behind objects. It's standard in a vector editor, but I've
never seen it in a bitmap editor.

- I guess the floor fills kind of give it away that this *must* be a
bitmap. But how does he manage to fill in all that counter-shading and
never accidentally draw over the outlining? Is he just extremely
skillful, or is the software assisting him somehow?

- How the heck does he do that thing with the floorboards? And the
shading for the shadow in the doorway? I've never seen anything so
advanced, ever!

- How on earth does he do the text like that? When *I* want to outline
something, I have to sit there for hours drawing the outlines in by
hand. He appears to have some kind of automation that does it for him...
And not to mention all the squishing and bending of the text, and the
multiple levels of gradients and...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/