POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Ok, seriously, I need help here.. : Re: Ok, seriously, I need help here.. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 16:03:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, seriously, I need help here..
From: Warp
Date: 2 Mar 2008 07:31:46
Message: <47ca9e31@news.povray.org>
Jaap Frank <jjf### [at] casemanl> wrote:
> Because triangles are not solid objects but surfaces only, you can't carve
> something out of it.

  No primitive in POV-Ray is solid. Everything is just a surface.

  What "solid" means in terms of CSG is that some points can be defined
to be "outside" the surface and others "inside" it. Thus "closed surface"
would be a much more accurate term than "solid".

  The problem with eg. the triangle primitive is that it's not a closed
surface, but on open one. Thus it can't have a defined interior (ie. there
aren't points which can be said to be "inside" a triangle).

  OTOH, a closed triangle mesh can be defined as being "solid" because
POV-Ray can determine whether a point is inside this closed mesh or not.
This can be done by using the inside_vector feature of meshes.

--
                                                          - Warp