POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod touch : Re: iPod touch Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod touch
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 29 Feb 2008 21:46:30
Message: <47c8c386$1@news.povray.org>

> Actually, I *could* check my email from it, can't anymore. I lost the
> mail app (along with others) on my first failed attempt at jailbreaking.
> I won't be paying 20 bucks for the "app pack" to get stuff I already
> had, so I'll see if there is some h4x0r way to get them back.
>
> And in fact, the iPod touch has those apps (I know it because I have
> extracted the disk image from the firmware). The so-called app pack
> probably just "unlocks" them.

Current status:

- Firmware 1.1.3, successfully jailbroken.
- Installer.app[1] and Cydia[2] (a port of Debian's APT!). The latter
proving how much the former sucks[3].
- Mail, Maps, Weather, Notes, Stocks, and ability to customize home
screen. For free. All I had to do was install "iPod touch software
update" package (from a non-standard package source) after getting
1.1.3. [Note to self: figure out how to get rid of Stocks icon]
- A working ssh, with bash and GNU userland. Which was installed along
with Cydia. Much better[4] than the "BSD Subsystem" available on Installer.
- Still no working povray.
- Quite dirty touchscreen.
- Jailbreak-related files scattered on my computer (bad habit of
downloading and extracting on the nearest convenient directory). Gotta
clean that up.

[1] http://iphone.nullriver.com/
[2] http://cydia.saurik.com/
[3] http://www.saurik.com/id/2