POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Drawings : Re: Drawings Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Drawings
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 29 Feb 2008 17:10:25
Message: <47c882d1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 21:48:40 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> That's a hell of a lot better than I could do.
>
> Heh. Thanks.
>
> Looking at the comic, you think "hey, they're really simply drawn. Just
> a bunch of lines really. There's hardly any detail at all. It must be
> really easy to draw them."

Well, I didn't think that - but that's because I know that without
drafting tools, I suck at drawing.  I was an engineering student in
college, and took a couple of drafting classes, so if I need to do an
orthographic view on paper, I have the equipment to draw it on paper.
But if I need to draw a face, forget it - I just can't manage that.

> Well, uh... GO TRY IT! It's way harder than it looks. (Like I just found
> out.)
>
> Even so, considering this is what I did in a few minutes with
> tea-stained desk pad and a freebie pen I got from a dating agency... I'd
> say they came out kinda OK, no? :-D

I thought they looked fine. :-)  For those who do cartoons
professionally, they get a character developed and then it becomes easier
to draw them consistently and more quickly.  I'm sure if you used those
characters for a comic, after drawing them for a while, you'd know how to
do them pretty quickly.

I remember an episode of The Simpsons that included a brief lesson on how
to draw Homer, conducted by Matt Groening.  Very interesting.

Jim

Jim