POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires : Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Feb 2008 18:21:55
Message: <47c74213$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:59:36 -0500, Warp wrote:

> scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote:
>> >  Then who pays those things?
>
>> The insurance company of the one who was deemed to be at fault in the
>> accident usually picks up all the direct costs (fixing any damaged
>> vehicles/property, tow-trucks, any medical compensation etc).  The only
>> general cost that is footed by the government will be the cost of any
>> emergency services if they are needed on the scene.
>
>   What if it was nobody's fault? What if there was no insurance?

In the US, at least in my experience, if it's "nobody's" fault, it's
"everybody's" fault (everyone who was involved), so each insurance
company pays some.  But usually they can pin it on one party or t'other.
Or ISTR there's something called "no fault insurance" available.

If there's no insurance, part of the premium those of us who are legal
(because, at least with driving a car or owning a home, there's a legal
requirement to have insurance) end up paying a little extra to cover the
costs of the uninsured.  Or maybe it's that there's a separate rider we
can pay for that covers those situations.

But at least in the case of a car accident, if you don't have insurance,
you're looking at a fine at the least.  For homeowners, unless you own it
outright, the bank won't lend you money for the mortgage without it, and
if your insurance policy is canceled, they'll be notified (as part owner
in the property) and most lenders will send a nasty letter saying
essentially that if you don't correct the situation, they'll foreclose.

Jim