POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod touch : iPod touch Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  iPod touch
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Feb 2008 08:10:00
Message: <47c6b2a8$1@news.povray.org>
(I guess the subject of my previous thread wasn't exciting enough to get
any interest)

I managed to cross-compile POV-Ray. Build system: i686-pc-cygwin. Host
system: arm-apple-darwin. Took like all day arguing with libraries,
compiler errors, and libtiff's broken build system. I'm now the proud
owner of a 1.9MB file that supposedly will make my iPod touch capable of
raytracing.

Now, only way to get it to work is jailbreaking the iPod. And running
POV on a shell, since of course I didn't make a fancy GUI. And since I
had firmware 1.1.3, looks like the jailbreak procedure (somewhat
simplified) is:
- downgrade to 1.1.1
- open safari, go to jailbreakme.com, and let the TIFF exploit do
everything for you
- run OKtoPrep (whatever that is)
- upgrade to 1.1.2
- jailbreak again
- upgrade to 1.1.3

Okay... Let's start. I download 1.1.1 firmware from the official apple
website. Then hold shift while clicking Restore on iTunes. Shift makes
it ask for a file instead of automatically downloading the latest
firmware. I click on the 1.1.1 file. "Extracting firmware", "Preparing
iPod for installing", "Unknown error". iPod shows apple logo. Minutes
later, iPod still shows apple logo. I'm screwed?

I can't believe I got it bricked on the first step. And that was
probably the safest step too. I didn't do any hacking yet, it was just
downgrading to an official and unmodified firmware (1.1.1) using an
official and unmodified program (iTunes).

I tried restoring multiple times, following instructions to hold home
and sleep buttons to completely reset it, restoring to 1.1.3, nothing
worked. "Unknown error (6)". That particular error number is listed on
apple support website, but the instructions didn't help me either. I
even tried letting iTunes restore it to the latest version (without
pressing shift), which meant waiting for yet another 160MB download.

I finally managed to restore it (to 1.1.4, the latest) from my dad's
Mac. Maybe my machine really did need a reboot; 7 days uptime, and I
think I should have rebooted after installing iTunes. But now I lack
half the applications on the iPod.

I had read before a blog post with instructions on how to copy Mail.app
from an iPhone to an iPod touch, and I thought "wtf, doesn't that
*already* come with the iTouch? Mine has it... Must be an older firmware
version that doesn't have it, and it's an old blog post..." But nope.
Turns out Mail, Weather, Stocks, Google Maps, Notes, and the ability to
customize the home screen are all optional features on the iPod touch.
"Available for only $19.99." Sheesh... I won't be paying 20 bucks to get
apps I had working just fine yesterday.

Probably Sun did more than just preloading the iPod with course videos
and laser-engraving "Sun Learning Services" on the back. They must have
added that application pack as well. But along with the free iPod, they
should have also given my dad some way to get those apps back in case
the iPod had to be restored for any reason... Oh well. I guess I can't
complain much given I got it for free?