POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem with parameters : Re: Problem with parameters Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with parameters
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 27 Feb 2008 19:09:05
Message: <47c5fba1$1@news.povray.org>
>> Unfortunately in 3.6 passing values by parameter is buggy,
>> it's fixed in the 3.7 beta, but in general you probably shouldn't
>> rely on values being returned correctly via parameter.
>>
> Just for curiosity sake, do you mean in general programming, or only in
> SDL (and why)?

I meant just for POV SDL, passing values by parameter is the
norm in some languages, and passing values around in global
variables is considered bad form in most languages.

> At the end, I read that a parameter (in programming) is just a variable
> stored in the stack (and recovered later).

Yeah, an identifier associates the variable name with a location
in memory which contains a value.  In POV a macro can be
passed an identifier, so that associates the parameter name
with the identifier name and location in memory.

Most programming languages don't have different versions
of variable assignment, the scope of a variable is usually
determined by the location it was created.