POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dreams : Re: Dreams Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dreams
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Feb 2008 11:48:34
Message: <47c59462$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   One could think that some law (hmm, what's "kaavoitus" in English?)

"Zoning laws"?

> would prohibit building too close to train tracks and other such noisy
> environments, but I suppose not.

English has an expression "you come from the wrong side of the tracks",
i.e., you grew up in the poor neighborhood close to the noisy railroad
tracks, unlike us rich snobby folks.

You don't even need to be particularly close to the tracks. I was in a
dorm room in university about two blocks away, and when the train with 4
locomotives pulling 450 cars behind it hit the horn, it set off the car
alarms for like 3 blocks.

Now I work across the street from Mirimar Airforce Base (also known as
"Top Gun", as in Tom Cruise), and it gets seriously difficult to test
audio processing software sometimes. :-?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"