POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Simple Windows question : Simple Windows question Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Simple Windows question
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Feb 2008 22:40:13
Message: <47c4db9d$1@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know the UNC syntax for accessing an entire disk under
Windows? I don't mean one partition, but the entire disk, and in
particular the MBR and partition table.

\\.\C: does it for the C: partition, the first 512 bytes of which are
the boot record, for example.

But I want to be able to read the MBR, and I'm wondering if there's
something the equivalent of Linux's /dev/hda, given that the equivalent
of /dev/hda1 exists on Windows.

Thanks for any suggestions to try. Note that \\.\physicaldrive0 doesnt
work. :-)

I will say this for Linux: it's a heck of a lot easier to figure out how
to move system files around. Windows does its damnedest to keep you from
copying the registry to a new, bigger disk. :-)

I can't figure out the "automated system restore" at all. The backup
program won't write to DVDs, and the restore program won't read from the
network or USB drives. How the heck are you supposed to restore the
backup it made without installing a second disk drive or something?
Stupid, stupid, stupid. Even with a windows LiveCD it's tedious and
painful, and assumes your new drive is at least twice as big as the old
partition.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"