POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet : Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Feb 2008 12:36:19
Message: <47c44e13$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> Over the long term it has been stable

I'm not sure what you mean by "long term."  Is 10,000 years "long term"?

> (long-term) that we've been wiping out species and domesticating both
> fauna and flora and carrying them with us; and look at the consequences.

OK, so you're talking about pre-human evolution, apparently.

> Talk to some of the Australians here about the introduction of
> non-native species to their country,

Yes, because the Australians destroyed huge numbers of the native
species, but that doesn't count. :-)

> I'm not saying we can't, and haven't, adapted to short-term alterations
> what I'm saying is that logically our best chances of survival is to
> maintain a system that we know we can survive in.

I'll grant you this is a possibility, if you can't easily steer the
whole system.  I.e., this is true due to our ignorance of what would be
better and how to get it there.  If we were in a more-controlled
environment, it might not make sense.  Certainly a primitive lunar
colony could figure out ways of radically reworking the environment to
something more likely to long-term survival.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"