POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires : Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Feb 2008 12:31:13
Message: <47c44ce1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Also, car accidents often close the *entire* road instead of closing
> just one lane.

At least around here, you get "gaper block", where the traffic going the
other direction is hindered by all the people slowing down to look at
the accident. :-) So it's even worse than closing one direction.

My favorite traffic report was the truck on the George Washington Bridge
(into New York City) full of roofing nails that rolled over. The GWB is
a two-level bridge, the top level leaving the city, the bottom level
entering, with tolls on both levels. And the top is grill-work to make
it weigh less.

By the time they figured out it was roofing nails that spilled, every
lane in both directions had dozens of cars with four flat tires blocking
the toll lanes.

The truck rolled before 8AM, and the bridge was still f'ed at evening
rush hour.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"