POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outlook Express : Re: Outlook Express Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outlook Express
From: Warp
Date: 26 Feb 2008 10:55:34
Message: <47c43675@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote:
> >  Because then people don't know what you are replying to.

> Of course people know what you are replying to, and if they have forgotten
> (eg a reply to an email from weeks or months ago) then they just read below
> to see what the previous message was.

  And if in the typical top-posting style the quote below is 50 pages long,
they can easily find the single line to which this poster is replying to.

  Somehow you assume that all quotes are short and quick to read.

> Just imagine this was an email conversation we were having here, and not a
> newsgroup thread.  You are trying to say we should post the same way in
> both.  Well what happens if I want to cc this reply to my friend Bob because
> I know he is interested in this sort of thing and will have a comment?  I
> will have to forward him a large number of different emails so that he can
> try and piece together the chain of events that led to the quote above.

  And he would have to read the entire thread in reverse order, from bottom
to top, which is exactly what the signature I quoted criticizes. You are
just proving my point.

> but the beauty is that if I want to forward it to Bob, I just hit
> forward and add "Bob, see the emails below for details", and he instantly
> has the entire conversation.

  In reverse order, which is exactly opposite to the natural order in
which people read. The point of that signature exactly.

--
                                                          - Warp