POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires : Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires
From: scott
Date: 26 Feb 2008 09:58:02
Message: <47c428fa$1@news.povray.org>
> I hate it when people put economics in the way of human lives.

Then you haven't completely understood.

> The "it's not worth saving them" conclusion after doing maths with money.

That's not the conclusion at all.  The conclusion is that instead of
"spending" $600m on traffic jams to save a single life, we might as well
spend $600m on hospital equipment to save 600 lives.

The maths is only showing you how bad a decision it is to spend $600m on
saving one life.  The fact that we put a price on a life helps us save more
lives by spending wisely.  If you put an infinite price on life, you end up
with all sorts of stupid decisions, because there isn't an infinite supply
of money.