POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires : Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 26 Feb 2008 06:40:34
Message: <47c3fab2$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> A lot of them use "all-weather" tyres, which are better than summer
> tyres in winter, but not as good as proper winter tyres.  The benefit is
> you don't need to swap tyres twice a year, the disadvantage is the
> rubber is so hard that the grip is terrible compared to proper summer
> tyres in summer.  So long as everybody uses them and knows how grippy
> they are it shouldn't be a problem.

Lose-lose -situation, since the tires are bad at winter and terrible at
summer ;).

> FWIW here in Germany we use winter/snow tyres, but not studded tyres.
> The winter tyres help a lot in snow, but are just as useless as summer
> tyres on ice.  It looks in that video to be ice, only studs will help
> you there.

Nope. Of course there are different kinds of unstudded winter tires, but
ie. the examples I took earlier (Nokian RSi and Bridgestone Blizzak)
perform surprisingly well even on ice, waaay better than summer tires.
Naturally studded tire is even better on ice, I'm not going to deny that.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net