POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires : Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 26 Feb 2008 02:59:29
Message: <47c3c6e1$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> My personal feeling is that if conditions are bad enough that you need
> more than your regular tires, you should just be safe and throw on some
> chains.

Chains should go well at extreme conditions on ice, but when you'll hit
the tarmac or gravel (or even plain snow iirc), real winter tires can
get you better grip. It's possible that we don't actually have the most
extreme conditions here - at least often -, but I don't recall a single
day from past 8 years (ie. while I've had a driver's license) that I'd
even thinked of chains instead of winter tires.

Of course the suspension of the car itself makes a lot, too.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net