POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires : Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires
From: Chambers
Date: 26 Feb 2008 00:11:23
Message: <47c39f7b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzeiMJQrvk
>
>   I have heard that in many places in the US they don't even know about
> the concept of winter tires (such as studded tires, which are used in
> Finland in winter), even at places where it snows. Seeing videos like
> this one seems to confirm this.
>
>   In some countries studded tires are prohibited by law (all year round)
> because they wear the road faster. Well, I suppose it's better to have
> tons of car accidents than having to repave once in a while.

My personal feeling is that if conditions are bad enough that you need
more than your regular tires, you should just be safe and throw on some
chains.

Our first apartment was at the top of a rather steep hill.  I loved the
feeling of calmly driving down the lane in the morning, grinning and
waving at all the people who had been stupid enough to try going down
without any extra traction - and there were at least two dozen cars on
the side :)

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com