POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet : Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Feb 2008 22:03:10
Message: <47c3816e$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> However it is also true to say that we evolved within a particularly
> stable ecosystem.

Bzzzt. Thanks for playing.

Which ecosystem is that? Arctic? Africa? Polynesian islands? Europe?
South America?

Many of the disparities between human societies came about exactly
because of the differences in ecosystems. Europe had metal ore near the
surface and the eurasian continent was broadly east-west, so Europe got
a big jump over Africa when humans moved there.  (The latter allowed
people to take domesticated animals and plants with them when they
moved, since it was in the same temperate zone.)

People have colonized everyplace in the world, wiped out most big
dangerous animals they came across (again, outside of Africa), and lived
through both heat waves and ice ages.  It's been far from stable.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"